Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to travel from Coimbatore (India) to Stockholm Arlanda (Sweden). I have a Swedish residence permit.

Could you help me find a route across the world for which I would not need any transit visa?

share|improve this question
Is your residence permit for some reason only valid for Sweden, or are you allowed to travel freely withing the Schengen area? – Tor-Einar Jarnbjo May 8 '13 at 14:42
My residence permit is for Master Studies at Sweden – Tamilselvan May 9 '13 at 4:31

This will not answer your question directly, but the following will tell you that you can go through any Schengen country on your way. That should open up a long list of possible travel routes from India to Sweden.

A PUT (Permanent uppehållstillstånd, Permanent Residence Permit) for Sweden (or any other Schengen country) works the same as a Schengen Visa. That means you can travel through any Schengen country on your way to/from Sweden, even take a vacation in say Norway.

Foreign citizens with residence permits in a Schengen country, and whose identities have been properly established, may also travel freely in the zone for three months.

From the Swedish migration office website.

share|improve this answer
Thank you... :) – Tamilselvan May 9 '13 at 4:37
BTW, although you officially can only travel for three months in the rest of the Schengen area there is not much that is keeping you from going about the rest of Europe pretty much unrestricted, as there are no border controls between the Schengen countries. – Krist van Besien May 9 '13 at 13:50
@Tamilselvan After reading the question again I notice you do not have a PUT, but the same applies to any kind of Residence Permit. Good travels! – Alendri May 16 '13 at 2:51

For example, Rome To Rio gives some possible routes.

It suggests, for example, to go through Doha or Dubai. As far as I know, as long as you do not leave the international transit area, you do not need a transit visa for Doha or Dubai.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.