Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I will be staying for 2months in the USA, do I require a visa since I am a citizen of Malta, which is part of the European Union?

share|improve this question
Being part of EU is completely irrelevant in case of US visa. – vartec May 7 '13 at 13:45
up vote 3 down vote accepted


A. Effective December 30, 2008, Maltese citizens are eligible to travel to the U.S. without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program if the following conditions are met:

  • The visit is less than 90 days
  • The visit is for tourism or business
  • The traveler holds a valid biometric passport
  • The traveler registers for and receives an approved travel authorization, or ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization), by entering their travel details at at least 72 hours prior to commencing travel
  • The traveler has a valid return ticket
  • The traveler has no prior legal convictions.
share|improve this answer
Thanks really helpful! Do you also know where I can check regarding license. A friend of mine told me normal license was accepted some years ago, but I want to check just in case as Im thinking maybe of hiring a car for couple of days. – rikket May 7 '13 at 12:26
@rikket see this question: – Dirty-flow May 7 '13 at 12:31
"The visit is for tourism or business" What else? – feklee May 7 '13 at 12:51
Visits for terrorism are not allowed without a visa! Seriously, I think the last two options left are diplomatic and medical. – Itai May 7 '13 at 12:55
@feklee you cannot work. By business they mean to go to conferences or something like that – Dirty-flow May 7 '13 at 12:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.