Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a type B European drivers licence with which I'm allowed to drive a car in my home country (i.e. not a motorcycle). Am I allowed to buy/rent a motorcycle in Bolivia and drive it? If not, should I get a motor licence here, or is it also possible to get one (as a tourist) in Bolivia?

share|improve this question
For those who maybe don't know the European license codes - are you allowed to ride a motorbike in your home country on that license? –  Gagravarr May 3 '13 at 15:49
No, not allowed. I hoped the link to the wiki was clear enough. Apparently not, so I've edited my question to explain the situation better. –  Bart Arondson May 3 '13 at 15:50
How much experience of riding a motorbike do you have, and why don't you have a license to drive on in your home country? –  DJClayworth May 3 '13 at 23:07
No experience (only drove a scooter several times), and it's too expensive. –  Bart Arondson May 4 '13 at 1:28
@ThorstenS. I appreciate your concern, but I don't see how this is relevant to my question. I didn't mention anything like "how safe is it to ride a motorcycle in Bolivia", so please stay on topic. You've answered the question to the extent of your knowledge on this topic, thank you for that. If I have concerns about the road safety in Bolivia I will ask a separate question and this will give you an opportunity to show your knowledge on the safety there, but it's not the time yet. –  Bart Arondson May 5 '13 at 8:58
show 2 more comments

1 Answer

up vote 4 down vote accepted


You get an international driving permit from your home country:


No problem at all to rent motorcycles and cars with that if you have the requirement in your original driving license. While the convention says that you should have your original driving license available I never have done that (could be lost) and I have been never asked for that.

So strictly speaking legally no, it is not possible to drive a motorcycle with only an automobile license. If it is tolerated (some countries do not enforce street traffic very strictly) I do not know, perhaps someone from Bolivia or traveling to it could answer that.

As I have a motorcycle license myself I am sorry to say that, but driving a motorcycle in a third-world country if you have no road experience is asking to get killed. You need to drive carefully even here because you have to get the "sense" how people react because you have no protection (the leather gear and helmet protects against falling down (sometimes deliberately to save your life)) against collisions and stupid drivers.

share|improve this answer
Thank you for your answer. I see you mention renting cars, but I'm mostly interested in riding a motorcycle. From the link you provided it seems I will not be allowed to do so (type B does not allow using a motorcycle if I understand correctly). Could you maybe augment your answer regarding motorcycle riding? –  Bart Arondson May 3 '13 at 15:35
OK, now I'm a bit confused. No problem at all to rent motorcycles and cars with that conflicts with So strictly speaking legally no, it is not possible to drive a motorcycle. Which of the two is it? Thank you for the remark on safety, I've thought of that and understand the risks involved. –  Bart Arondson May 3 '13 at 15:56
Edited answer to answer the correct question. –  Thorsten S. May 3 '13 at 16:02
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.