Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have two passport one is Saudi and the other is British.

My question is I am in Saudi Arabia and I want to travel to the UK and back how does that work?

And do I need a visa for any of the two counties?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

You need a visa for neither country because you are a citizen of each.

When you enter a country, in order not to need a visa, you show them the passport of that country.

In your case, when arriving to Saudi Arabia, you show them the Saudi passport. When arriving to the UK, say after you get back, you show them the UK one. You obviously need to have both with you but you always show one at any given time.

It is possible there are legal exceptions, but this works in most parts of the world. For Saudi Arabia, which gives no visas to tourists, you pretty much have no choice.

share|improve this answer
That could be a bit sticky. If you gave a nationality when buying your airline ticket, stick to that one, or they will ask why. –  RedSonja Sep 10 '14 at 14:04

There are usually multiple places where you'll have to show passports and things can get a bit tricky. Obviously you'll use the passport of the country whose passport you are at. But often you want to show the passport of the destination country at check in to show the airline company that you have the appropriate visas/residency.

So for example for a trip from Germany to the US the sequence is as follows:

  • Check in with the US passport (Airline will actually send that info to the US)
  • Use German passport for passport control when exiting Germany
  • Enter US with US passport
share|improve this answer
The US is a special case in that you must enter it with your US passport if you are a US citizen (I am not sure if this is a requirement in Germany). –  Relaxed May 30 '13 at 10:44
It's not a special case. If you are a citizen of the country you are must use its identification documents (i.e. passport). That applies to any country. –  Claus May 30 '13 at 17:17
Why would that be? It's obviously up to each country to pass laws requiring that if they see fit. –  Relaxed Jun 2 '13 at 8:47
And obviously in many cases the question is moot because you need to show your passport/establish your citizenship to prove your right to enter the country but, to my knowledge, it's not illegal or punishable, say, to enter France on a German passport as a French-German binational whereas pretending to be a tourist in the US if you are a US citizen would be… –  Relaxed Jun 2 '13 at 8:59

Show your Saudi passport to the Saudi Immigration, show your British passport to UK immigration. If the airline asks if you have a Visa for the UK show them your UK passport.

Do not show Saudi Immigration your UK passport. As I understand you may get into trouble if you do.

I do this all the time and it's never been an issue for me. it used to be that you could get a certificate of right of abode in your Saudi passport that acted like a permanent visa meaning that you didn't need the UK passport, but they don't issue these any more.

share|improve this answer
+1 That's the most useful answer. –  Relaxed May 30 '13 at 10:46
Wouldn't this be a problem if you don't show UK passport to Saudi immigration when you leave? I know in my country they would ask for the visa of the country you are travelling to. –  Elchin Jul 15 '13 at 9:18
Not really the immigration officers are only checking that you are allowed to leave the country. They don't even ask where you are going so they can't really ask you if you have permission to go there. It's the immigration officer at the other end's responsibility to determine if you are allowed to enter their country. –  Omar Kooheji Jul 16 '13 at 16:08

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.