Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am a US permanent resident but I am a Filipino citizen. I am planning to travel to the Philippines and wanted to get a ticket with a 15 hours layover in the UK. Am I allowed to go out of the airport and have a tour to London?

share|improve this question
to clarify, you're travelling on a Filipino passport, with a US permanent resident visa inside? –  Mark Mayo Apr 29 '13 at 8:03
Not sure if this is an exact duplicate: travel.stackexchange.com/questions/703/…, travel.stackexchange.com/questions/16835/… –  Karlson Apr 29 '13 at 12:57
@Karlson No, since s/he does not have Schengen visa like in the other question. –  uncovery Apr 29 '13 at 14:56
@uncovery But the basic premise is the same I'm transiting through London and I want to visit it during the layover. The end destination and possession of the Schengen visa is irrelevant here. –  Karlson Apr 29 '13 at 15:14

2 Answers 2

You can transit without visa (TWOV) landside (i.e., you are allowed to leave the airport). Citizens of Philippines can TWOV.

A visa national who is going to the UK simply to travel on to another country may enter without a visa if these conditions are met:

  1. They arrive and depart by air
  2. Their onward flight is confirmed and departs within 24 hours
  3. They are properly documented for their destination and have a visa if they need one

Source: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/carriers/ukvisarequirements.pdf

See also: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-to-transit-landside/

It is a good idea, however, to have some supporting documents (e.g. work contract) available, be dressed reasonably well etc., because TWOV is a concession.

The concession is operated at the border where you arrive in the UK and is at the discretion of Border Force officers. You may not be permitted to benefit from this concession and may be refused entry to the UK.

share|improve this answer

The quick answer is no without a visa. As a Philippines national you need a visa to go through the uk border.

This is clearly explained by the uk border agency here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-to-transit-landside/

Check the "Are you a visa national" section under "more information"

share|improve this answer
The comment from @R-traveler that seems to contradict mine refers to transit without visa "airside". This is not what the question is about. The original question is about leaving the airport "transit land side". The law allows this if within 24 hours, as per the question, but is subject to the discretion of the customs police. This needs to be requested "in situ", can't be requested in advance. The custom police is unlikely to grant this –  Manu May 16 '13 at 20:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.