Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My friends and I are going to Japan in October. A coworker mentioned that there's a site where university students will gladly guide tourists in exchange for transportation/food costs and learning English. He doesn't remember where he found the forum though.

Does anyone know where we can get a local tour guide?

share|improve this question
I posted in chat ("You are here") several months back a link or two to websites where Japanese people do certain tourist activities with you for about $25 or so. If I don't provide you with a link within a week or two, ping me. – Andrew Grimm Mar 25 '13 at 2:26 was one of the sites I was thinking of. – Andrew Grimm Oct 6 '13 at 3:57
up vote 6 down vote accepted

They are called Goodwill Guides. Your description is spot on. They only want to have travel etc paid for. But you will not only find students but also retirees and housewives.

I know one page with a huge list. Here is another one of such sites that covers several areas of Japan. If you are in Tokyo, you might want to go directly to this page.

share|improve this answer
This is absolutely perfect! Thanks =) – echoblaze Mar 25 '13 at 0:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.