Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I worked in America as a snowboard instructor for a few months in 2008, on an H2B visa. For that I obtained a social security number. The card has printed on it "Valid for work only with DHS authorization".

I haven't worked in America since then, but have recently been approved for an H1B visa so will be moving there shortly. Is my social security number from 2008 still valid, or will I need to get a new one?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Nate Eldredge, JoErNanO, Gayot Fow, CMaster, CGCampbell Mar 21 at 14:07

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Not sure that this question is appropriate for this site. This is more on immigration, for which I can't find a proposal now. This is the question best asked when you reapply for the Social Security number. They might reinstate your old one if you know what that was. – Karlson Feb 12 '13 at 15:16
As a general rule, SSN's follow the person, not the job. – LessPop_MoreFizz Feb 12 '13 at 18:40
@Karlson H1B is not an immigrant visa. This question applies to both immigrants and non-immigrants. It's on-topic here. – Gilles Feb 12 '13 at 19:01
@Gilles It's a work visa. And SSN is not related to Travel. – Karlson Feb 12 '13 at 19:30
Actually sounds more on-topic for Expatriates:SE - long term residence in a foreign country for work purposes. – CGCampbell Sep 15 '14 at 17:24
up vote 10 down vote accepted

If you have ever had an SSN, that is your number for life. Even if you become ineligible to apply for one, if you had it, you don't lose it.

“Valid for work only with DHS authorization” indicates that having a social security card isn't in itself proof that you are entitled to work in the US. For example, you might still have a valid social security card after your work visa has expired, or you might have been issued a social security card without being allowed to work in the US.

share|improve this answer
Great, just as I had hoped, thanks for that! – Jon M Feb 13 '13 at 16:06
Just as added reference, students are also issued a SSN and a Social Security card when they want to get a driver's license; and the F1 visa is non-immigrant and does not allow you to work (except as part of a vocational program). – Burhan Khalid Dec 10 '14 at 4:18

SSN is issued once in a life time , you can use same SSN number again. Its not legal to get two different SSN unless you have a valid reason.

share|improve this answer

Some of the information contained in this post requires additional references. Please edit to add citations to reliable sources that support the assertions made here. Unsourced material may be disputed or deleted.

protected by mindcorrosive Mar 21 at 8:09

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.