Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top


  • I am an UK Citizen.
  • Currently living & working in India.
  • Can I use ESTA to work for 2 months in US for my employer's client in US?
  • I will not be getting any salary or money for these 2 months from my Indian employer for working in US. I will get only my expenses for these 2 months.
share|improve this question
For all due purpose, this is a duplicate of… The exact situation is slightly different, but those differences are not relevant, and thus the answer is exactly the same. – Doc Feb 7 '13 at 18:50
However, questions should be closed if the questions are the same, not if it happens that the same answers apply. – RoflcoptrException Feb 7 '13 at 19:24

You should not have any issues with arriving here under ESTA for business purpose.

If you want more details you can take a look at the FAQ posted on the DHS Visa Waiver Program site as long as you arrive on VWP Signatory Carrier (which as you can you can see for yourself) is a pretty extensive list.

share|improve this answer

As with all such questions: ask at a consulate or embassy!
That aside, ESTA is a tourist visa program, not a work permit. Therefore I'd expect it to not be valid for business travel (which yours would be). While they may not mind someone using it to attend a tradeshow for a few days, or a conference, as an agent for a foreign company, your plans are quite different. You're going to be putting a US resident out of a job (or preventing one from getting a job), which is the very reason foreigners need work permits as companies have to show they can't get local people qualified before a foreigner is allowed in to perform the work (or that's the theory at least behind such things).
But as said, ask at an embassy or consulate.

share|improve this answer
The Visa Waiver Program IS valid for business travel - it's definitely not a "tourist visa program" – Doc Feb 7 '13 at 7:59
but it's NOT a work permit, and for what he's doing he's going to require one! – jwenting Feb 7 '13 at 8:00
@jwenting According to DHS the Visa Waver Program is valid for Business Travel as long as it is less then 90 days. And I am not sure what does any of this have to do with American resident being out of a job? – Karlson Feb 7 '13 at 17:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.