Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm planning a 3 day motorcycling trip around Seville, Spain. I'm from EU, and have had a full motorcycle licence for less than a year.

The rentals I've found on internet so far seem to require that licence has been had for 1-3 years. Is this a universal rule, or is there hope to find smaller rental place that doesn't have this requirement?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

The license held restriction is normally required by the insurance companies the rental places use. If you haven't had your license very long, then you're considered a higher risk due to the lack of experience.

You should find that some places will have a different insurance policy that can be offered, which would let you ride with your license, but likely with both a higher excess and a higher daily rate.

Some big places will have this already worked out as standard, so if you ring them they should be able to quote straight off. Alternately, a smaller rental place ought to be able to ring up their insurers and arrange a one-off for you, possibly for an admin fee (in addition to the higher premiums and excesses....). I'd suggest you ring up a few places and see what they can do.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for answering, this gives me hope a deal can be arranged. Will have to start contacting rental places well in advance! – Pēteris Caune Aug 4 '11 at 16:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.