Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am going to Europe for my honeymoon. My entry and exit is from Rome.

My Visa says Stati Schengen, Type C.

I understand Type C is for short term travel. Can anyone help me understand Stati means ?

I plan to visit France as well in between. I hope it will not be a problem.

share|improve this question
It should not be a problem. I know that as an American I am allowed to visit any Schengen country without a visa for a period of 3 months, after of which I should be out of the Schengen zone for 3 months and in total only allowed to spend 6 months a year in the Schengen countries. Assuming I have not requested an extension to stay based on study or work. – robrtc Jan 26 '13 at 10:20
“Stati” simply means “states” or “countries” in Italian. There is even a document somewhere on the EU website with a translation for this (and a few other things like “cancelled”) in all 20+ official languages. – Relaxed Apr 26 '14 at 16:25
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The Schengen Agreement is an agreement between several states that created the Schengen Area within which there are little or no border or visa controls.

STATI Schengen in Italian means "Schengen countries", so those countries that are part of the Schengen Area.

You can find a list of these countries here. I guess your Visa is stating that you can visit the countries that are part of the Schengen area.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.