Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What driving license is required for driving in France from UK? Is it paper, card or both? The gov.uk site says:

You can use your Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland driving licence in all European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) countries

whereas the RAC page says:

A valid, full UK driving licence - both the photo card and paper counterpart

I would take both but I can only find my card license at the moment.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Theoretically you need both, because the plastic one is not valid without the paper counterpart (at least this is written on the paper counterpart). Having said that, I would be really surprised if the French actually bothered to look at the paper one -- I haven't checked it myself though.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.