Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A 17 year old boy that was born in Israel but left at a young age wants to visit Israel for the first time since leaving. Does he need prior permission from the IDF (perhaps through the Israeli embassy in his country of residence) to make this trip to ensure being allowed to leave Israel without performing military service?

share|improve this question
I think the close votes are because this seems to be more about military service than it is about travel. – DJClayworth Dec 10 '12 at 20:28
up vote 9 down vote accepted

Since you are now of the drafting age you should probably resolve your Army status before attempting to visit Israel.

You can look at this post on Expat Exchange that seems to be specifically on point for your issue.


Since there seems to be a question about the Expat Exchange Post here are a few more:

share|improve this answer
-1: That post appears to be by a law firm, trying to take advantage of people's uncertainty about their situation and scare them into hiring the firm to aid them. The information in the post could be factual, I have no idea, but it would be nice to have a less biased source for it. – Nate Eldredge Dec 11 '12 at 4:49
Based on this link it seems to have merit.… – Karlson Dec 11 '12 at 15:03
+1, because I canot see what's wrong with Karlson's answer ... short, simple and correct. Que demande le peuple? – André Peseur Dec 11 '12 at 19:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.