I'm planning a 2 week trip (end of Dec / beginning of Jan) to the USA and I will be based in Athens, GA, but I will move a lot between Athens, Snellville and Atlanta.
It's my first time in the USA and I'm glad I will be out of the main touristy areas. What I would like to know are suggestions about what I could see/do. I know this is pretty much personal so here is a small list of things I find interesting:
- Cool country roads
- Cities worth visiting (OK, that's pretty general but I don't know how to put it) in a range of like 4h by car.
- I'm really into literature so if you know of some lit festival or pretty cool library / bookstore (something like City Lights in San Francisco)
- I'm not into military stuff at all but I'd like to visit a shooting range. Maybe this is a somewhat naive question but, are there any shooting ranges that looks "family friendly", not haunted by fanatics?
- Since it's 150 years since the civil war I expect there to be some kind of celebration / events / museums in the vicinity. I found this site, GACivilWar, is there anything else I shouldn't miss?
- Typical "south" restaurants and / or places where you can really see what makes the south, the south :-)
- Bars / pubs with live country music
- Cool cabins in the mountains