It seems like I am stuck here. Can anyone help me with the following?
I am from Switzerland and currently do an exchange semester in Toronto. My flight from Zurich to Toronto included a 3 hour stopover in New York on August 28th. For this, I used the ESTA Visa Waiver Program. Since then, I have not returned to the USA. However, I have 3 US trips planned:
- Nov 9 - 13, Visit New York and Boston
- Nov 16 - 19, Attend a workshop in Buffalo, NY
- Dec 12 - 23, Visit a friend in San Francisco. I return to Toronto by plane on Dec 23. On Dec 24, I fly back home (Toronto - Zurich).
It seems like for 1) and 2) are not issues. However, I may be stuck with the San Francisco trip, as I will be entering the US 106 days after my Stopover in NYC and leaving even later.
I suddenly figured out that the visa waiver program only allows stays of max. 90 days. I found the following information from US gov websites:
- VWP travelers who have been admitted to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program and who make a short trip to Canada, Mexico or an adjacent island generally can be readmitted to the U.S. under the VWP for the original admission period. They do not, however, get a new 90-day admission period.
- Under the VWP, time spent in Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands counts towards the maximum of 90 days stay allowed under the program.
- It is required to obtain a visa if you intend to visit the United States for more than 90 days.
Applying for a visitor visa can be problematic as it most likely takes too much time. According to the US consulate, it takes approximately 36 days plus administrative processing time.
I am trying to do everything to avoid cancelling my trip to San Francisco. Do you have any idea on how I shall proceed? Many thanks. Every response is appreciated.
Update: I do not have a student visa. This is not required because my stay is shorter than 6 months.