Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Are there any good radiation measurement devices to recommend to bring along when traveling to places that have radiation level that is not suitable for a 8 hour or longer stay?

share|improve this question
Where are you going? – Mark Mayo Oct 29 '12 at 6:26
Going near area in Japan (Miyagi) – Jack Oct 29 '12 at 6:40
Did someone say that Miyagi is not suitable for an 8-hour stay? Where did you hear that? Related question:… – Andrew Grimm Oct 29 '12 at 7:56
up vote 8 down vote accepted

A Geiger Counter measures the current radiation level. It can really only tell you "It's safe here", "don't stay here too long" or "get out of here, NOW!". If you're going to stay in an area where the length of your stay could expose you to a dangerous total amount of radiation, you need a Dosimeter (The Wikipedia page links to a list that compares specific models).

But any area where you could receive a dangerous amount of radiation over the course of as little as 8 hours is almost certainly not accessible to the public.

share|improve this answer

Well, the obvious is a Geiger Counter. It's simple to use - with usually a counter on the screen indicating the radiation, and beeps to provide an auditory cue as well.

When I went to Chernobyl, we were provided with one upon entry. They're lightweight, handheld and immediately clear on how to use.

They're often called Radiation Detectors as well, especially for marketing purposes. Indeed, a search on Amazon's website for either will show you can buy consumer-grade devices from around $150 and up, depending on the features and quality.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.