Take the 2-minute tour ×
Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

According to the US State Department website (emphasis mine):

A Tourist Card will be issued for a stay of up to 90 days upon payment of a reciprocity fee, currently US $160. Currently, the fee is only charged at the Santiago International Airport. Payment can be made in U.S. currency or by credit card.

Does this mean that if I were to enter Chile via other means (e.g., a different airport or via overland travel) that I would not be required to pay the reciprocity fee? Or would I be required to make arrangements to pay the fee before I arrived?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Officially I believe the fee is payable no matter how you enter the country, however the simple truth is that it's only collected at Santiago International Airport, and it's only collected on arrival.

If you do not enter via SCL, then you will NOT have to pay the reciprocity fee - regardless of how you do enter the country (land, water, or air via another airport). It is not collected on exit, even if you didn't pay it on entry so you can still depart from SCL without having to pay.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.