Travel Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for road warriors and seasoned travelers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am an Indian with a valid B1\B2 visa, currently residing in Sweden. Can I travel to the US from Sweden or do I have to go through India?

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

You should not have any troubles travelling directly to USA from Sweden. At most, you'd get questions at the airport in Sweden when checking in, and you'd have to explain (or prove) your current status in Sweden. The US authorities won't care much where are you flying from, as long as you hold a valid visa.

I myself travelled on a B1/B2 visa from Sweden one month ago, and I'm not a Swedish citizen either. There weren't any problems at all. However, I'd bring copies of documents certifying your status in the country (for example, letter from Migrationsverket, letter from Skatteverket with your personal number, and/or a valid Swedish ID document). I didn't have any of those with me, though I managed to get by only by showing a credit card issued by a Swedish bank and speaking in Swedish, but your mileage may vary -- in retrospect, I definitely should have brought supporting documents.

share|improve this answer
I can also confirm that you do not need to travel from your country of nationality for B1/B2/F1. – Burhan Khalid Oct 26 '14 at 11:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.