What topics can I ask about here?
Travel Stack Exchange is for road warriors and seasoned travelers.. If you have a question about …
- customs & border crossing, visas and other travel documents such as permits
- accommodation: camping, hostels & backpackers, guesthouses, B&B's, hotels, renting a villa on a trip
- loyalty programmes: frequent flyer points and hotel advantages
- health and safety issues related to travel
- modes of travelling: international, domestic, and public transport
- finances: budgets, costs, foreign exchange
- working while on the go (WWOOFing, volunteer travel etc) - not immigration or work visas, see below
and it's not about …
- asking for the 'best' thing to do (or similarly subjective questioning). Everyone is different. Detail what stuff you like to do/see if you're going down that route, so that we can better help you. Subjective questions are VERY likely to get closed.
- asking to have your travel itinerary constructed, including flight scheduling, budgeting and finding accommodation. Such questions cannot be answered as there are too many variables and personal preferences to account for, and are unlikely to be of use to others. An actual travel agent may be of assistance.
- things that are overly broad or related to an overly big geographical region
- cheapest [things, places] in [country, town, ...]
- eliciting list-style answers, suggestions or recommendations on a topic or place (unless VERY specific criteria is listed)
- a question where every answer is going to be equally valid (eg 'What country in Europe should I visit?' (which would also be overly vague and broad))
- issues related to immigration / expatriates (see Expatriates Stack Exchange instead)
- shopping suggestions
… then you’re in the right place to ask your question!
Remember to be tolerant of others who may not have your travel experience, knowledge, political, cultural or social views, and be aware that some regions are in conflict (eg Palestine, Sudan) and definitions in regards to these regions may be in a state of flux.
While valid questions and constructive answers and comments are welcome, chatty messages or comments and especially political discussions should be reserved for our chat room, and discussions about the site or questions should be on meta. If you feel there is any problem with a question, please flag it for a moderator.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Travel Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"